6.1.11

Paris to Brussels, Day 6

Today was a day of travel and getting settled...no pictures to show, and really nothing exciting to tell, other than we took the train from Paris to Brussels and we are now safely ensconced in our "apartment" (only slightly larger than our little hotel room in Paris, but still perfect for what we need). HOWEVER, getting the chance to visit a new place--even better, a francophone country--is very exciting, so I guess I should amend that statement to reflect how awesome it is that we are in Belgium!!

What is a little bit sad is the prevalence of American chain restaurants here. Beyond even the presence in Paris, by which I was already heartbroken. It EVEN surpasses the abundance of KFC's in Malaysia (please note that every single one of my pictures from Malaysia have a KFC in them, except for the ones from Uncle Rick's apartment and inside the National Museum--even though you might actively try to take a picture there without a KFC, it's almost impossible :) ). Just in the 7-minute walk from the apartment office to our abode, there were two McDonalds, 2 Subways, 1 Pizza Hut, and 1 Dominos. Not to mention the Quick-type spinoffs...GAH!

Jerry is still battling his cold--miraculously I have not gotten it...yet. I fully expect to wake up with it tomorrow morning, since (as all of you who are familiar with me know) I have no immune system. Actually, this might be the first time in about 7 or 8 years that I haven't gotten sick when within 100 yards of someone who is! Let's keep that train of positive thinking going!

We had dinner in a little bistro near the apartment and we are now going to go rest in the hopes that we can soit get better, soit not get sick...

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness - poor Jerry - sending many recupe vibes :) -- right there with you on the fastfood issue - altho I admit what made me REALLY sad was the stinkin' STARBUCKS on Boul' Mich in Paris... oh and what made me sadder was one of the students who, upon seeing it, said, "Oh good I can get decent coffee instead of that café crap." gaaaaahhhhhh next year such remarks will result in being put on a plane back to the U.S. (ok not really but in my mental reality they will :)

    ReplyDelete