1.1.12

Monaco Days 1 & 2

Well, we are ending the first day of the new year here in Monte Carlo...how lucky are we?!?!

You'll have to excuse any errors in typing--I'm still getting used to the tiny keyboard that comes with the iPad case that I bought just before leaving. It was absolutely the right purchase for this, because I have so much more portability and functionality, but after my cher MacBook Pro huge keyboard, I'm having some petits problems. :)

Let's see...recounting the last few days...we arrived in Nice late in the afternoon of December 30th, and Jerry got us upgraded to a MERCEDES!!! It is such a nice car (and makes all of the driving around on these twisty roads--getting lost--much more pleasant). We found our way to the hotel through a drive with beautiful scenery. They have planned the mountain roads here to show the beauty of the architecture and the land perfectly.

After arriving, it was late enough that we decided to eat dinner at the hotel and rest up for the next day. We are staying in a different part of Monte Carlo than last visit, so we needed a little bit of time to get our bearings in the daylight before venturing out.

The next day we had a beautiful breakfast on the terrace of the hotel that is just next to the dock.



The mountains are just on the other side of the hotel...


For New Year's Eve, we went out to do an open bus tour of Monte Carlo/Monaco, which was amazing because the open top of the bus allowed us to see everything. We tried our hand at driving around but with only a litte more success than before, given the winding, name-changing roads.

At any rate, we found our way to the city center that we recognized and bought some New Year's Eve necessities, etc. and oriented ourseles relative to the main port.


Me, outside the big rock enclosure



a bird on the top of the winding mountain trail that we climbed to get to Old Monte Carlo Village






There is apparently a special exhibit on the royal marriage in the ocean museum...I will clearly be spending an inordinate amount of time there!




Jerry outside the Museum..."we all live in a yellow..." ":)



An interesting winter display of penguins and woodland animals beside the palace...not at all to scale in size or grandeur, but cute all the same.






The guard outside the palace.



After the bus tour, we drove home and decided to walk to the main port for dinner and a look at the Christmas village.










After walking back and relaxing a little bit, we decided to get all dressed up for the hotel's celebration...


Here is Jerry looking handsome and debonair with his cuban cigar and drinks...I'm not going to post my picture because it doesn't show me in my actual sober state and not overindulging (all of you that know me recognize that every picture I take makes me look horrid...), but we had a great time. Of course I enjoyed my champagne, but the picture makes it look totally different. ANYWAY,
What an amazing thing to be able to kiss the new year in with such an amazing man in such a wonderful place.

Today we took it easy (see J above...) but I had a marvelous breakfast on the dock--it was postively HOT outside! Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was closed, so no shopping or wandering fun, but a day of rest, reading, and watching French news was great (especialy while listening to the rocking of the yachts and the gentle sea waves. I'll let Jerry tell you how he spend HIS day.... :)

About 4:00 PM or so. though, it got very cold. We opted for a wonderful dinner at the hotel and I'm now out here writing to the gentle harmonies of the yachts and the occasional car or pedestrian, narrated by a great selection of old jazz...case in point. Fred Astaire, singing Cheek to Cheek...

We are planning on driving down the Italian riviera a little tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post some more about that!!

Bisous

No comments:

Post a Comment